Last Updated 12/18/2020
The summer of 2020 was absolutely incredible for us at Fircreek! Because of our diligent research and planning, our phenomenal summer staff, and our amazing, honest, and caring parents, we had zero COVID-19 cases! So once again, Fircreek is prepared to provide safe and healthy opportunities for children to play in the great outdoors of Bellingham, WA. During these uncertain times, we will continue to partner with parents to provide your children with opportunities to grow emotionally, cognitively, and socially while staying safe and up to date on the current best practices regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. All COVID-19 procedures are subject to change as we receive more information from the CDC and Health Department. Keep checking back for more information or join our mailing list here.
Utilizing guidance from the Washington DOH, we’ve modified our programs to keep kids safe while they have fun this summer. We’ve successfully implemented proper health screening of all staff and kids in our program, we’ve added additional cleaning procedures to the management of our facilities, and we now require the use of masks in order to ensure the safety of all children in our care, as well as the staff within our employment. Learn more about our mask policy below.
Safe and healthy childcare options are essential for children and families within our community to thrive. That is why Fircreek is going the distance to meet their needs this summer. I hope your family’s summer is a Fircreek summer! Join us now and register today.
Also, we understand that, right now, things feel uncertain in the world and that makes it hard to plan for the future. This is why we have decided to waive cancellation fees up until 7 days prior to your registered week.
Registration Fee Breakdown:
- Standard $25 Refundable Deposit per week (subtracted from the full weekly fee) to register for your week(s) at Fircreek.
- Standard $25 Cancellation Fee WAIVED if you cancel prior to 7 days before your registered week.
- NO SHOWS are required to pay full tuition for the registered week.
Fircreek Day Camp has been closely monitoring the evolving outbreak of COVID-19 in the United States and will continue to take guidance from the CDC and the Whatcom County Health Department. We are taking measures to prepare for camp with great care and are confident that our procedures, along with our incredible staff, will once again create an amazing experience for your child this summer. Below is a list of steps we are taking to ensure the safety of your children at Fircreek. If you have specific questions regarding COVID-19, please don’t hesitate to call us.
Social Distancing Measures
- As an outdoor program we are able to maintain six feet of distance as necessary.
- We are limiting our groups to no larger than 22 people including staff.
- Keeping groups together throughout the day.
- Maintaining the same groups throughout the week.
No large group activities until permitted by the WA State Governor.
- JAM TIME will no longer be held at the stage benches, but instead, groups will spread out within our large corral area.
- ALL CAMP GAME has been modified into CABIN COMP. Groups compete individually in benchmark style games.
- The Activity Zone for each group will be determined by the activities lead and will change each day. Groups will rotate through all zones by the end of the week. AZL’s direct the cabin groups at their zones to do individual cabin activities, in order to minimize the mixing of groups.
Cool Down, Drop-Off and Pick-Up become Station Rotation times.
- Each station will allow for a maximum of 10 people at a time.
Candy Store will operate at Cool Down as a bonus rotation station.
- Groups will be allotted a specific time to visit the Candy Store during that time.
Additional Operational Structures
- Families will be asked to stay together in a line, at 6ft. intervals, while waiting for a station to Check-In and be screened.
- All children and parents who wish to pass beyond Screening Zones will be required to be screened for signs of COVID-19.
Shortness of Breath
Family Members who Tested Positive
- We are asking that parents keep children home who aren’t feeling well, and any child who is not feeling well during the day will be requested for an early pick-up.
- All Staff will be screened daily before opening.
- Any staff who are symptomatic will be quarantined away from other staff, children, and parents. In addition, they will be required to be tested for the presence of COVID-19 before returning to Fircreek.
- We will provide a no-contact check-in/out system this summer in order to make check-in/out as smooth and safe as possible.
Additional Cleaning Procedures
- Bathrooms will be cleaned four times daily to ensure sanitization.
- Tables, Climbing Wall, Zipline, Backpack Racks, Hand Washing Station, and play equipment will be wiped down daily using the CDC childcare guidelines.
- All changing tents will be sanitized daily.
Face Masks at Fircreek
Below is a list of frequently asked questions and our response to each in regards to current WA State COVID-19 Restrictions..
Will my child be required to wear a mask at camp during the face mask mandate?
In short, yes. Children will be required to wear a mask while in close proximity for extended periods of time or while indoors. Examples include Art Zone, JAM Time, and possible rainy day indoor activities to name a few. Children will not be required to wear a mask while swimming or during water activities.
Will parents and guardians be required to wear a mask while dropping kids off at camp during the face mask mandate?
Yes. To ensure the safety of all kids, parents, and staff, as well as to meet the requests of the Governor’s face mask mandate, we are asking all parents and guardians to wear a face-covering while on the Fircreek Day Camp properties, beginning on June 26th. Thank you for your understanding and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Will staff be required to wear a mask at camp during the face mask mandate?
Yes. Staff will be provided a face covering and required to utilize it when indoors or unable to maintain six feet of distance from others while outdoors. Due to the strenuous and active nature of our program, we are encouraging our staff to social distance and remove their mask if they feel their safety and wellbeing is at risk due to exhaustion, overheating, or trouble breathing. Our program is such that a distance of six feet is possible to maintain, as necessary.
In Case Of Emergency
Should a child or staff member be found through proper testing to have contracted COVID-19 while at Fircreek, the Camp Director and The Firs organization will contact the Whatcom County Health Department for instructions on how to proceed. A possible shutdown of all camp operations could be the result. Please be aware that we will do everything within our power to keep you informed and mitigate the inconvenience this would cause.
This information is subject to change, given that this is an evolving situation and we are learning more each day. Please keep an eye on our website, as well as your email inbox, for updates from us as summer nears.
Fircreek Day Camp is a ministry of The Firs. The Firs exists for people to encounter Jesus and experience the love of God.